Environmental Studies and Research Centre
In its first meeting in 2009 the Board of Directors of the Alsalam University, West Kordofan State, approved a proposal for establishing an Environmental Studies and Research Centre. The University made this decision in recognition of the importance of an environmental centre in West Kordofan State as a result of the oil industry in the State and the need of urgent intervention for environmental protection. The Centre is expected to create productive linkage between the University ,local communities , government authorities at the local; regional and national levels and the oil companies operating in the State.
The overall objective of this Centre is to protect the environment in West Kordofan State by creating sensitivity towards environmental issues and contribute to reducing the risk of environmental pollution through conducting research and studies to inform local community, West Kordofan State ,national authorities and the oil companies in particular on the challenges resulting from oil industries and their impact on a pastoralist community whose main sources of livelihood are livestock rearing and to a lesser degree subsistence agriculture . Achieving this overall objective will no doubt contribute to sustainable development, social peace and human security initiatives in this State in particular andneigbouringStates in general.
Specific Objectives :
- Carrying out scientificstudies and research on environmental issues to inform efforts,, initiatives and policies on environmental protection and conservation.
- Conducting scientific conferences and training workshops on environmental issues and engaging local community leaders and youth ,local; regional and national policy-makers and decision- makers and the representatives of oil companies in these actives.
- Creating environmental awareness among all sectors of the local community by issuing and disseminating publications and periodicals that serve community development and environmental enhancement.
- Fostering research and communal partnership with national ,regional and international organizations and research institutions concerned with the environment.
- Providing consulting services to the public and private sectors.
- Availing scientific support to post graduate students and researchers.
- Improving the relationship between the local community and oil companies by providing accurate and reliable information to the oil companies to encourage them to implement projects in line with their social responsibility.