Diagnostic Insight into the Constraints of crop production in Zalingei

Locality, Central Darfur State

  • Elkhalil E. Breima Department of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Research Corporation, Zalingei Research Station, Zalingei- Sudan
  • Prof. Makeen A. Makeen2 Dept of Crop Sciences, Faculty of Natural Res. & Environ. Studies, Alsalam University, West Kordofan State, Sudan
  • Dr. Abdelmniem T. Ahmed Agricultural Economics and Policy Research Centre, Agricultural Research Corporation, Shambat, Sudan
  • Dr. Ashraf A. A. Hassan Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, Faculty of Natural Resources and Environmental Studies, University of Kordofan, Elobeid, Sudan
  • Prof. Maruod E. Maruod Department of Agricultural Economics,Faculty of Natural Resources and Environmental Studies,NorthKordofan State, Sudan
Keywords: Diagnostic, Constraints, Frequency distribution, multiple regressions

Abstract

This paper reports the results of a diagnostic study conducted in Zalingei locality during 2015/2016 cropping season to identify and assess the constraints of crop production of farmers. Agriculture in central Darfur state is kept in a mixed crop-livestock production system. Agriculture acts as a multi-function source; helping in income generation. The objectives of the study were to identify the opportunities and constraints of crop production and to use the information as a base line data for future intervention. Multi-stage random sampling technique was applied. Fifty households were randomly selected via structured questionnaire, focus statistical analysis and multiple regressions were used to analyze the data. Results of frequency distribution of farmers indicated that the majority of the sampled households received some sort of education (60 %), while the rest were illiterate (40 %). Extension provision results showed that only 4 % of households benefited while 96 % denied having extension services. Results pertaining climate change impact showed that 95.8 of farmer’s alleged that crop production was affected. Regression results reported that, high costs of seeds, weeding costs, harvesting costs and threshing costs were significant at five percent from zero level except threshing costs was significant at ten percent from zero level. Adjusted R2 was 0.686. Input constraints was significant at ten percent from zero level identified, while biological and environmental constraints were significant (P≤0.05), and accordingly adjusted R2 was estimated by 44.5%. Results of millet crop indicated that marketing constraints has affected production and they were significant (P≤0.05). Adjusted R2 had negatively impacted millet production by 31 %. Groundnut seeds costs was significant (P≤0.05) with adjusted R2 29 %.  Sesame results showed that biological constraints were significant (P≤0.05), and the adjusted R2 was found to be 15 %. Analysis of onion crop showed that seeds costs and weeding costs were highly significant (P≤0.05) impact, and the model fit regarding adjusted R2 was an average costs constraints of 60.5 %. The potato results revealed that costs of insecticides, costs of fertilizers, harvesting costs and transportation costs were significant (P≤0.05) with adjusted R2 of 66.9%. While marketing constraints and environmental constraints were significant (P≤0.05) and the explanatory variables affected production by 24.7 %. Analysis of sweet potato found that weeding costs and production constraints were significant (P≤0.05). Adjusted R2 greatly affected sweet potato production by 52 and 21 % respectively.

Published
2018-12-01
How to Cite
E. Breima, E., A. Makeen2P. M., T. Ahmed, D. A., A. A. Hassan, D. A., & E. Maruod, P. M. (2018). Diagnostic Insight into the Constraints of crop production in Zalingei. Alsalam University Journal, 3(2.), 1-14. Retrieved from http://alsalam.edu.sd/journal/index.php/suj/article/view/8